Tuesday, January 29, 2013

UCLA Lab 3- Creating my own map


View UCLA geography 7-Lab 3 in a larger map



Pitfalls, Potential, and Consequences of Neogeography

Of the many pitfalls of Neogeography, one of the greatest I think is the reliability of the information that is being put out there. What’s stopping someone from putting up information on a map that has false information? Therefore how can we trust the information being put out there if any person could create it? Anyone could make their map look professional, I made a map in about 15 minutes that looks somewhat like a real map someone skilled could make, but my map was made up, based on a fictional location; therefore, mine is not a good source that could be used in the writing of a research paper. Another pitfall of Neogeography is that I feel like the technology is not one hundred percent glitch proof. When I was creating my map I had to re-due it two times because I kept having issues with placing markers. In my map somehow one marker was placed about fifty times, and I tried to delete them all but for some reason it wouldn’t let me and I was forced to restart my map. The technology has many bugs that make it a burden to work with sometime, therefore limiting Neogeography greatly in my opinion. Repressing people’s ideas because the technology can’t keep up with what the users want it to do.
            The potential of this technology is great. I feel like Neogeography is slowly going to take over the old ways we do geography, and that many of the techniques or technology we use now to create maps or study subjects will be replaced with the techniques that Neogeography uses, becoming the standard for the daily practices of the field. I think one of the greatest potentials of Neogeography is the access to information we have now. The ability to open any webpage and have an interactive map that allows you to access information is something that is a great way to get information to the public. Therefore, the greatest potential of the technology is that a large percentage of the global population has access to this, and that you don’t have to be a geographer or a GIS minor to cerate these simple maps that provide tons of information that anyone can access. I think there are many consequences to Neogeography. One example is how some people might abuse this technology. In Orange County, which is where I’m from, there were cases of people robbing houses by using Google maps and scouting out houses that seemed to be wealthy. Therefore they would scope out neighborhoods that had large houses, using the maps to find the address and then rob the houses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment