Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Intresting Maps- Lab 1

This map was found on the website http://theantilove.deviantart.com/art/Disney-Map-207593214. The map shows where all the Disney Movies were set in the world. I chose this map because I thought it was interesting where all the movies were set, because I was not aware that some of them were set outside of the United States. Some of the locations surprised me in where they were set. For example, I did not realize that Dumbo was set in Florida. Another one that was interesting was that The Little Mermaid was set in the Caribbean; I thought it was set in a completely different location. What I found really interesting about this map was how many of the movies were set in Europe. I found this weird because Disney is located in the United States, therefore I assumed that more of the movies would be located there. Something I thought was very interesting about the map was how there is only one movie set in both South America and Australia.
This map was found on the website  http://wanttoknowit.com/where-do-jaguars-live. The map demonstrates the present and past range of the South American Jaguar. What I found interesting was how the Jaguar range has changed so greatly, mostly due to humans. This map shows that the species had such a huge range, but it has shrunk to an area that is very small compared to what it used to be. Something that I thought was very interesting about the map was that the species used to live in North America. The animal used to be found through the Southern United States including California. It's hard to believe that the large predator used to live where I did. Another thing that interested me about the map was how many different types of habitats the species can live in. When I think of a Jaguar, I do not picture the animal living in the deserts of California or Arizona, but this map clearly shows that they used to.  
 The map comes from the website http://www.asn.tv/news.php?n=3374. The map depicts where certain fans of college football teams live within in each state where the college is located. I personally found this map interesting because of how little fans some schools had within their own state. For example, if you take Stanford University, one of the best college football  programs in the nation, it has one of the smallest fan bases by area. This either demonstrates that the fans of that university are just concentrated in that area, or Stanford does not have that many fans. Another aspect of the map that I found interesting was how LA seemed to be evenly divided between UCLA and USC, I would have actually thought that USC would have had a greater area in terms of fans. The University of Texas also has an interesting distribution, where it almost takes up more then half the state of Texas, while Texas A&M, a better ranked team, has only a smaller portion of the state. This map reveals that fan base is not generally determined by a college program's national ranking.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment